Making little bits of progress :)

So, at the moment I’m in the middle of my January exams 😦 so work on the project is taking a very far back seat. But I decided to a have a little go at making a few things tidier and do a little experimenting.

Firstly, I came up with a name! I decided on “KinectiCopter”. I thought Helicopter and Kinect and stuck the two together (if you didn’t realise).

I then thought up a few ideas for a logo/icon for my project/application and finally came up with (after a lot of time staring at the screen) the following logo πŸ™‚

KinectiCopter Icon Version 3

KinectiCopter Icon Version 3

After sorting a new icon for my KinectiCopter application I hadn’t made yet I was itching to do something, so I decided to put off revision a little more and began to make a new project which may well be the final one. I copied over all the work I had previously done on the Kinect into this project. So, I had my KCKinectController class which took care of the interface between the libfreenect_sync library and my objective-c program, and previous work where I had got the video and depth data to display using OpenGL/OpenCV.

I then couldn’t resist to get another OpenGLView class made, which instead of showing the user 2D images of video and depth, it showed the user a Point Cloud view of the scene. There was an example of this in the OpenKinect examples, so I had a long hard look at this to try and work out what it did and how and then I recreated it in my own program πŸ™‚

When building it it seemed to work fine except that the view seemed really zoomed out compared to the example and when I did zoom in things looked a bit like they were overlapping… I had a quick think and then decided instead of using my own KCKinectController class to get the depth and video data I would just go straight to libfreenct_sync and get the data from that. This seemed to fix everything! But why? No idea. But I do have a feeling that it has something to do with me converting the depth/video data to an IplImage for OpenCV and then converting it back to data.

So, I’m now thinking that instead of getting the controller to convert to IplImage and then to data, just get the controller to give the user the data it collected in the first place and then have some over methods for converting for when I want to use OpenCV.

Thats what I’ll try next πŸ™‚

Tagged , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: